For years I’ve wanted a truck, but been unable to justify buying one… we live so far out and fuel economy is a major concern for us. So when truck brands started bringing light-duty diesel trucks with good fuel economy to the table, I got excited. But, I held out, knowing Ram had one in the works and not wanting to discount it before it got here. And boy am I glad I waited. The 2020 Ram 1500 Eco-Diesel is the truck for me.
A Few of My Favorite Things About the 2020 Ram 1500 Eco-Diesel
Besides being an absolute beauty inside and out, there are a few things that make this truck stand out from the crowd…
- The diesel engine is available on every single 1500 model. This includes the base model (Tradesman) and the off-road model, the Rebel. (My personal favorite!)
- The 2-wheel drive version gets up to 32 MPG and the 4×4 boasts 29 MPG.
- The Fuel range exceeds 1,000 miles per fill-up, the highest among all pickup trucks.
- It is the roomiest of all the light-duty trucks.
- The construction is solid. No cheap-plastic feeling interior. This would hold up to my family’s constant use and abuse. Ahem.
- The multi-function tailgate on the Ram is my favorite!
- Two words: Ram Boxes. If you haven’t seen this storage option yet, it’s genius.
- This truck starts at just $36,000. That’s less than a lot of sedans and small SUVs.
Let’s Talk About Trucks and Fuel Economy
Maybe fuel economy doesn’t matter so much to someone who uses their truck on the farm, or whose only long commute is towing the boat from the garage to the lake. But for those of us looking to replace a family car with a truck, fuel economy 100% matters. See, we’d be using the truck for every day driving to and from town: martial arts classes, grocery store runs, date nights, doctors visits, and all those long commutes to the big city, and family road trips too. All of this adds up really quickly when you’re 25 miles to the nearest town.
And while there are other options in the light-duty diesel truck segment, you are forced to upgrade to a second or third-tier appearance/performance package in order to get the diesel engine. This is going to cost you more upfront, meaning it’ll take longer to make back the difference you’ve spent, making it a little less of a deal in the long run.
The Ram 1500 Eco-Diesel Gets My Vote for Best-in-Class Interior
I love the exterior too, don’t get me wrong, but all the new trucks are pretty sweet on the outside. What impresses me about the 2020 Ram 1500 is the interior. Even on the base model, the doors feel heavy and solid. Any plastic molding and dash is thick and tough rather than light and hollow-sounding when you tap on it. Whether you go with cloth or leather seats, you’re in for a treat with high-quality craftsmanship, and your technology options in the 2020 Ram 1500 are out of this world awesome.
View this post on Instagram
We spent a lot of time today learning about the 2020 Ram 1500 Limited Eco-Diesel. From functional features to storage options to luxury amenities this truck has it all. #Girlsdrive2019 #agirlsguidetocars #aggtcpartner #txautowriters #girlsdriveram #ram1500 #ecodiesel #RamTrucks #grablifebythehorns #trucksofinstagram #trucks #travel #travellife #mariettaga #atlanta
- We love the available 12-inch touchscreen with split capabilities so you can display both your navigation, and your climate controls, or your Apple Car Play and your radio at the same time. Need we say more?
- Personalized Stations Powered by Pandora via SirusXM means subscribers can give songs they listen to a thumbs up or thumbs down within the SiriusXM service, or even skip songs, to create their own personal channel. This is an industry-first, exclusive to the Ram trucks and is such a cool feature for those of us who love music!
- The segment’s largest passenger cab makes room for all your passengers, gear, and plenty of storage opportunities… like the box under the rear seats, the cooler boxes under the floor mats, and the massive center console between the front bucket seats.
- The second row offers eight degrees of slide recline, which is absolutely perfect for kicking back and relaxing on a long drive. And, you can get heated and cooled rear seats on some models.
- The super-quiet cabin is so impressive. You can hold a conversation in normal ranges with everyone in the car able to hear you just fine. No shouting, even in the diesel truck! And the music sounds incredible.
Under the Hood of the 2020 Ram 1500 Eco-Diesel
Engine options include:
- 3.6-liter eTorque Pentastar V-6 engine, delivering 305 horsepower and 269 lb.-ft.
- 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V-6 engine, delivering 260 horsepower and 480 lb.-ft. of torque
- 5.7-liter HEMI® V-8 with variable-valve timing (VVT), 395 horsepower and 410 lb.-ft.
- 5.7-liter eTorque HEMI V-8 with VVT, 395 horsepower and 410 lb.-ft. of torque
- Class-exclusive air suspension not only enhances fuel efficiency, but it also improves your comfort and gives you even greater off-road capability.
- The 1500 has a maximum payload of 2,300 pounds and maximum trailer tow of 12,750 pounds so you can take that boat, camper, horse trailer, or even car carrier out for the weekend!
- Standard safety and security systems include adaptive cruise control, forward collision warning, blind-spot monitoring and brake assist.
View this post on Instagram
That hawk is screaming, “Buy that truck!” and I’m hearing him loud and clear. 🚘 #girlsdrive2019 #agirlsguidetocars #aggtcpartner #txautowriters #girlsdriveram #ram1500 #ecodiesel #RamTrucks #grablifebythehorns #trucksofinstagram #trucks #travel #travellife #mariettaga #atlanta
Need some extras?
The class-exclusive RamBox cargo management system turns your truck bed’s sidewells into useable, lockable storage. In the bed, you’ll find relocatable anchor points. You can also add a bed divider and new multifunction tailgate make for the most configurable, usable truck bed!
My Experience in the 2020 Ram 1500 Eco-Diesel Truck
I have had the privilege of driving this truck at three separate events… a local lunch and learn event with the Ram Trucks team, The Texas Truck Rodeo, and the annual A Girls Guide to Cars Fall Media Drive & Conference. Every time I’ve walked away from this truck even more convinced that this is what I want. I’ve driven multiple models in every kind of terrain and weather and I’ve loaded it with adult friends and gone out to dinner. There is always room for everyone!